Madison on the Issues
I support competition in all aspects of business, be it, healthcare or the grocery store.
I would say that at times the mask mandates from the government were odd and without logic. I feel that ultimately a business has the right to require such a thing before customers enter if they choose.
Do you support policies that would permit males and females to share the same public restrooms, locker rooms, and showers, based on their self-identified gender instead of their natural born gender?
I do not support city-wide policies that would require the above. I believe this should be a decision that if a business chooses to do so, it would need to be posted as such, not something that is required by the government.
Identification of voters is paramount to having secure elections. If we can not be certain of whom is voting, elections can not be 100% secure.
If faced with a budget deficit, would you support or oppose cutting spending rather than increasing taxes?
I have always erred to keep spending within projected revenues of sales tax annually.
- 80,000 – fund an additional full-time property maintenance inspector to serve as additional assistance in reporting code violations that affect negatively on other residents.
- 100,000 – funding for additional staff and equipment to perform abatement work for code violations where property owners refuse to complete the work.
- 120,000 – funding to create a grant program for low income property owners who need work completed on their homes, projects limited to not more than $1,000.
- 140,000 – funding to create a program for all kids in 1st grade to receive a balance bicycle and learn in school how to ride a bike to foster outdoor experience and physical activity.
- 280,000 – funding to create a bait car program with SJPD to focus on vehicle thefts which affects a large number of citizens.
- 280,000 – funding to SJFD to combat the rise in fires and increase readiness with equipment that will make their work more effective
Equal opportunity. We need to as a society increase the teaching of soft skills more, teach kids a work ethic, teach personal responsibility, teach that if you work harder/do better you are rewarded for you efforts. America is and will always be known as the land of opportunity.
St. Joseph can be compared to Kansas City by saying that St. Joseph is big enough that it isn’t uncommon to meet new people but small enough that you run into them at the grocery store the next week.
KC could learn how to embrace its history more at times, St. Joseph could learn to dream big.
Merrick Garland stated that the greatest threat comes from racially or ethnically motivated violence, “specifically those who advocated for the superiority of the white race”. Do you agree or disagree?
I disagree with Attorney General Garland.
Are there circumstances where the city council can restrict the church from assembling? If so, under which circumstances?
No, and to quote the constitution, Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.